Well, ladies and gentleman, I have to find a new quip, because yesterday I TOTALLY went to the dentist and had my teeth drilled without anesthetic! Before visions of Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors begin to dance in your head, I ne
ed to clarify. I was having minimal dental work done. While insinuating that I was having a root canal would make me seem tougher, the reality is that I had a very tiny cavity on the outside surface of one of my lower molars. Still, I thought Dr. Vernon was insane when he suggested I attempt the drilling without anesthetic. But he pointed out that I would be sparing myself the painful shot (and hi, that needle that I HATE. Hello, I'm trying to keep my fainting record in tact!). Additionally, I could spend the evening doing something besides drooling out the numb side of my mouth and accidentally chewing up my numb cheek. He was very nice and said that if it started to hurt, he could always stop and numb me up. I decided to be brave and go for it. Again, I could pretend that the drilling lasted an eternity and that I was in agony to make the story cooler. But the drilling lasted four minutes. Well, when you account for the thoughtful dentist stopping every 20 seconds to make sure I was okay, it probably only lasted two. It did hurt a little, but I think he was right. The shot would have been worse. Crazy, but the "natural" dental work was probably one of the most pleasant experiences I've ever had at the dentist!So yeah, I'm going to need a new defense for my love of epidurals during childbirth. Other than the obvious which is: It feels really good.
Then again, I finally have a response when some lady starts bragging about laboring for 46 hours without an epidural. I'm totally going to tell about the time I had dental work done without the benefit of novacaine. Of course, in the version I tell her, it will be a root canal.
UGH! I absolutely hate dental work. Possibly more than labor. Maybe not though. You're TOUGH Kelly!!
ReplyDeleteI have a dentist appt on Monday. I'm a lot worried I'm going to need at least one root canal.
ReplyDeleteLaura has one of the most interesting dentist stories ever. It ought to be a blog entry.
ReplyDeleteBrave, brave, woman.
ReplyDeleteThe difference is....you can't start childbirth and have the gyno ask every 20 minutes "are you ok, cause if not I could give you the shot" see- if it weren't for that "point of no return" with the epidural, I might give my super stong self a go at it. But I opt for the chance that there will MOST likely be pain...that I cannot handle without drugs.
ReplyDeleteGood for you though- I HATE the dentist.
I'm all about the laughing gas. It's pretty much the best thing ever. The only down side is my eternal fear I will proclaim my love for my Ken doll lookalike dentist. I am not kidding, my entire extended family calls him "Dreamboat Dave". Still, that euphoric feeling of floating is definitely worth the risk. I am sure I would not be the first woman to confess my feelings to that beautiful man...
ReplyDelete