And yes, I do realize that there are banks failing, natural disasters going on everywhere, wars, political upheaval and all of that. Maybe that's why this hair thing is bugging me so much? Perhaps I feel like my hair is the one thing I have control over? But anyway, this is done in fun, so maybe this post can distract you for a couple of minutes, too!
So, here we go. No holds barred. I figured we'd better start from the beginning, just so you can understand where my hair is coming from. I can feel Carter's eyes rolling now:
Yes, folks, this is how my hair began. This is me at about a year, I think. Sorry for the topless photo, but it was the only baby pic I had of myself!
This is the obligatory 80's mullet I sported for a few years until . . .
My mom made me get this haircut when I refused to wash it or style it in first grade. I may be smiling on the outside, but I was crying on the inside. I was pretty traumatized and mad for a few years (I was mistaken for a boy on more than one occasion), but now that I'm a mom myself I so get her decision. I show this picture to Chloe when she complains about getting her hair fixed, tell her the story of what happened, and then ask her if she wants Grandma Rose to do that to her. She quiets down immediately. (Kidding, Mom!)
This photo does not adequately illustrate the awfulness of the perm I got when I was 12. What made me think that would be a good idea? Hanging around with goats didn't help things, did it?
When I was 13, I decided to grow out my bangs. When they reached past my ears, my mom suggested just cutting all the hair. So I did it! (In case you are wondering, I totally sewed that cow all by myself in Home Ec.) I sported the no bangs look (with length ranging from my shoulders and down) all the way through high school and half of my freshman year of college:
There are too many different hair styles to document following this initial chop, but one of note happened right after I got married: a super-short cut. I liked it for the ease but Carter wasn't a big fan. But he took me to see the Beatles in London anyway: (click to see better)
Following both my Chloe pregnancy AND my Piper pregnancy, I got "hormonal" haircuts. Major changes, major regrets. Thankfully, no photographic record of these cuts exist (I have a strict "no pictures for at least six months post-partum" policy). But I decided after Sadie to just let my hair grow until my hormones stabilized. I know any day now that will happen. So in the mean time it has grown to this:
Boring and VERY high maintenance. I now have enough hair to donate to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths Program and get this haircut (I've been carrying this picture in my wallet for six months now!):
Some days I feel 98% sure I want to go for this style. It's a better fit for my lifestyle, pretty cute, AND I could help someone who needs my hair more than I do. But other days, like today, I'm not so sure that style would work and that maybe I should just keep growing until I have enough to donate with a cut to my shoulders. And until I'm 100% sure it's a change I could live with. I could go for a more gradual shortening of the old locks, but donating is something I really want to do. So this is where I need your advice and help. Leave a comment (either of condolence for some of the unfortunate hairstyles I've had over the years or a suggestion for the future) or vote in the poll (YES! I've been dying to do a poll since I started this blog). You can vote right up until my hair appointment. And thanks in advance for helping me in this important hair analysis :)
We can discuss Lehman Brothers and Sarah Palin tomorrow.
Seriously Kelly, I was laughing so hard while reading your post. I LOVE your hair journey pics and thought your first grade hair story was priceless. You poor girl!! And where did you get the photo inspiration for your potential new 'do?? I LOVE it. And think you would look terrific and your face and hair could totally wear it with flair. You have beautiful hair AND style it well - go for it!!
ReplyDelete(And I may be totally lame and do an imitation cut this Friday... I've been trying to find some picture to show how I want my hair - my current style just causes the ends to flip out constantly and it drives me CRAZY...
And let's not discuss Lehman or Palin tomorrow. Both make me a little ill.
Sarah, I got it out of Newsweek, believe it or not!
ReplyDeleteAnd it makes me feel good you like it. That's not lame at all! Let's be twinners!
That picture of you in the red dress on the chair is so Chloe I can't stand it.
ReplyDeleteI think you would totally look good with that haircut, but you need to feel ready for a cut. It's tough, I know!
When I cut my hair short I sat awake in my bed for over an hour doing the math as to how old I will be when my hair is long again and is that too old for long hair? I don't know! It's a dilemma.
Several things:
ReplyDeleteA. I can't believe I've never seen childhood pictures of you, but reading this I realize I never have!
B. FUNNY haircuts back in the day. You, your hair and your poor mom had me laughing out loud.
C. Two years ago I chopped my long locks and donated them to Locks of Love. Yes, I was traumatized at first, but it's b/c I made the SERIOUS mistake of making a major hair change during an already traumatic time period (move across country, new job, etc.) You are STABLE. Now is totally the time to do it. After I stabilized I loved my new 'do. (I just should've waited until then to do it!) And I LOVED being able to donate to a good cause. I thought of cancer survivors I know which each snip.
D. That cut would be darling on you. Remember how we all loved your drastic change from long to short freshman year? It will be like that all over again. How exciting!
E. It will grow back. Worst case scenario: you hate it. No fears... it will be to your shoulders again (a "safe" length) in no time.
Hey Kelly, it's Annie, Laura's roommate. Yes, I read your blog too, it's Laura's fault, she got me started, and I love it! But to the important question at hand, I say cut it! And most hairstylists really want you to be happy with your "do" so if you hate it make her fix it! But I think it's a great choice. Don't go for safe, you've got years ahead of you to be safe, go for fun!
ReplyDeletewho is your appt with?? That is crucial. Some stylists can't do pictures..
ReplyDeleteSo let me get this straight -- blog about Carter's TV show (Opposite Song), zero posts. Blog about your hair, 5 posts in the first two hours. I shudder to think what would happen if you blogged about shoes. Overload the server or something.
ReplyDeleteIncidentally, my vote is for chop it off now.
I love that cut you are thinking about. I did something similar a couple of weeks ago... however, my stylist did not get the bangs right (so I might use your pic to show her when I go in for my bang trim). I think it will look great on you and frame your face (plus it's fast and easy, but looks so styled)!
ReplyDeleteAnd another thing...
ReplyDeleteyou look so much like Sadie in that first pic!
Those pictures are PRICELESS! I am not the one to give hair length advice, since obviously I am a fan of the short, no hassle, looks like it's styled after only 10 minutes, can even wear for two days look. But I like the last picture of your hair long. And I liked the one (in college?) of it to shoulder-length. But really, all the looks are so cute on you. When you have such a great face... you can pull off lots of styles!
ReplyDeleteBTW -- I loved that picture from Newsweek when I first saw it and still love it. I'm absolutely no help. But stick with whatever decision you make, because you know you will wake up Saturday morning and your hair will look the best it's looked in months, and you will second guess yourself (that's what always happens to me). So just don't do your hair. In fact, the messier the better when you look in the mirror that morning!
ReplyDeleteFirst off, my parents (Kelly's grandparents) still have that wallpaper in their bathroom of the first picture. Yikes, time to redecorate.
ReplyDeleteSecond, I'm sorry, Carter, but although the OPPOSITE SONG was really something, we women have our priorities straight and, apparently, you sprain your eyeballs rolling them upwards when the all-important hair decisions in the family need to be made. So... with that said, say the word, Kelly, and I'll have Wendi on a stand-by jet to Utah stat, because I LOVE that short, side bangy cut and think you'd look great with it, and you seem ready for a change, so go with your gut.
Thank you for entrusting us with your hair look. Go to it. And you are a sweetheart to donate your locks out of love to those who need it. Vanity thy name is NOT woman.
Love you and I hope you'll post the results!
XO,
Mimi-ling
Kelly, am I too late?? First, you CRACK ME UP! I love reading your blog. You're too funny. Second, I don't think you could go wrong with that cut. Not too short. Not too long. Cute, but not too high maintenence. I say go for it. Rock it. And thank you for inspiring me to make a hair appointment! Good luck. I'm sure whatever you choose will be gorgeous.
ReplyDeletep.s.First Lehman, now AIG? My bro quit Lehman last year, but he still has (had?) friends there. Crazy! Hope Katie's hanging in there at Goldman with all this economic turmoil.
pps. I really shouldn't post comments during conf. calls! I can't type or spell when doing two things at once, so please forgive all typos above :)
ReplyDeletethird comment, huh? yup. sorry carter.
ReplyDeleteI too have a hair appt. Saturday. The last time I had my hair done was in Utah, the day we got together for Rio & pedis after YOU had your hair done. I think it's funny we're on the same hair cycle. Just like when we were roommates and other "cycles" would mesh...
Love the pictures -- love the cut. Go for it. Pretty soon we'll all be walking into salons around Salt Lake asking for the Kelly. I've already copied the photo to my desktop.
ReplyDeleteI know you don't know me...I just loved this post and wanted to let you know my girls have also donated to locksoflove.com. Also, a great place to donate! Go ahead and donate:)
ReplyDeleteKelly,
ReplyDeleteThis is Sami, Katie's roommate again. Still the favorite. Anyway, you should totally get your hair cut like the pic. It is very sophisticated and so chic! And lots better than the 1st grade pic! :) I have short hair too and love how fast I can get ready. I gave Katie a 15 minute headstart the other morning when we were both blowdrying and I beat her by alot! Just make sure that you can still get it into a little ponytail. Then you can still be happy!
Good luck!
I love your blog...
ReplyDelete