These days it feels like Harry Nilsson wrote that song just for me! The third girl has now joined the ranks of children with things to say:
So yeah, pretty much every minute of the day somebody is saying something (at varying levels of intelligibility). And usually it's to me. On a normal day, I can't go three hours without hearing something that makes me laugh out loud.
Chloe is the best at making me laugh. From beginning half her sentences with "perhaps" to referring to our stepstool as a "tuffet," this girl makes keeping a straight face while conversing with her a real challenge. I think my favorite quote from this last month came while I was quizzing her on how to spell her last name during mealtime. She turned to me with a very serious look and said, "Uh, I need to focus on my dinner right now and not my last name." Carter and I were dying!
With Piper it's more how she says things. Yesterday she was telling herself the story of the Three Bears while we were driving in the van. All of a sudden she busted out this ultra-feminine, high-pitched voice to say the Mama Bear's "Someone has been sitting in my chair!" And, sure enough, the next time she got to the Papa Bear's line, her voice got deep and gruff. The other sisters were very entertained and I was stifling laughs in the front seat.
I know all this wit comes straight from their father. The other night, following a string of bad hair days, I was contemplating a major change. I pulled out a few photos (both old ones of me and models in magazines) and started discussing with Carter which hairstyle would work best. Then I talked about how my sister, Katie, and my dad believe that women should have long hair and wondering aloud if they were right. I admit, I was going on and on. After a while, Carter gave me a look and I let him get a word in. "Kelly," he said, "I am not a girl. I can't talk about this all night." I must have looked hurt because then he said, "Okay, okay. Let's pull out every picture of you in this house and start analyzing your hair in it. We'll get Katie and your dad on conference call and I'm sure we can work this out sometime around dawn." I burst out laughing. I laughed until tears were streaming down my face. And then I felt like punching him.
Sometimes I wish "The Sound of Silence" was written for me.
Chloe is the best at making me laugh. From beginning half her sentences with "perhaps" to referring to our stepstool as a "tuffet," this girl makes keeping a straight face while conversing with her a real challenge. I think my favorite quote from this last month came while I was quizzing her on how to spell her last name during mealtime. She turned to me with a very serious look and said, "Uh, I need to focus on my dinner right now and not my last name." Carter and I were dying!
With Piper it's more how she says things. Yesterday she was telling herself the story of the Three Bears while we were driving in the van. All of a sudden she busted out this ultra-feminine, high-pitched voice to say the Mama Bear's "Someone has been sitting in my chair!" And, sure enough, the next time she got to the Papa Bear's line, her voice got deep and gruff. The other sisters were very entertained and I was stifling laughs in the front seat.
I know all this wit comes straight from their father. The other night, following a string of bad hair days, I was contemplating a major change. I pulled out a few photos (both old ones of me and models in magazines) and started discussing with Carter which hairstyle would work best. Then I talked about how my sister, Katie, and my dad believe that women should have long hair and wondering aloud if they were right. I admit, I was going on and on. After a while, Carter gave me a look and I let him get a word in. "Kelly," he said, "I am not a girl. I can't talk about this all night." I must have looked hurt because then he said, "Okay, okay. Let's pull out every picture of you in this house and start analyzing your hair in it. We'll get Katie and your dad on conference call and I'm sure we can work this out sometime around dawn." I burst out laughing. I laughed until tears were streaming down my face. And then I felt like punching him.
Sometimes I wish "The Sound of Silence" was written for me.
So I had to stop reading and just let myself laugh for a minute right after I read the word "tuffet".
ReplyDeleteChloe cracks me up. I wish I could have been there for Piper's story.
So cute!! Eli watched the video with me and was answering Carter on some of the words too - it was pretty funny. Sadie speaks so well!!
ReplyDeleteAnd your story about your hair made me smile! Carter is way more patient than Ben on things like that... I've almost given up analyzing what I'm wearing to church w/ Ben because he gives me little satisfactory feedback "Both skirts look fine" - what kind of an answer is that??? :) I'm excited to see what you end up doing with your hair!
Yes, ever since I met Matt, I have been trying to figure out Carter's sense of humor. Is he laughing at me? Is he laughing with me? Is that inside joke directed at me? Do I believe what he's saying? On and on. Kuddos to you! So if your daughters are anything like him, I'm sure there's amazingly funny moments of vocab all over the place. AND, do what you like with your hair. I think there're some really feminine and attractive SHORT dos out there too!
ReplyDeleteRest assured, Kiley, I am laughing WITH you. I feel bad that my sense of humor is so misunderstood. My tombstone will probably read, "He thought he was so funny, but everyone hated his guts." But seriously, Kiley, I have nothing but love for the foxes of Fox Hall.
ReplyDeleteThat was so adorable! I like how your hubby got down to her level for the big finale ;)
ReplyDeleteThey are definitely going to have a flair for the English language- it seems the talent is running down torrentially from both sides of the gene pool!!
I love your blog almost as much as your writing. ;)
This is why we need to live together. Okay, at least closer. Harley won't put up w/ me discussing A LOT of things I want to, esp. when it comes to beauty products/hair/etc. Don't they know they're Diva Disciples and it's part of the job requirement? Sadie is speaking so well, and I love your serious, animated, smart, Divette darlings.
ReplyDelete