Friday, April 16, 2010

The Blow By Blow

Here are all the details and pictures of exactly what we did on our trip.  I don't expect anyone (except for maybe the grandmothers) to make it through this whole thing. 


Friday

*Arrived in Vegas after a hellish seven hours of road tripping with four little girls.
*Checked into Polo Towers.
*Unpacked--and realized that genius pool floaties didn't make it.  Head almost exploded.
*Vowed I couldn't take children out on the strip after exploring on my own and discovering the CRAZY Friday night crowds.
*Went to bed feeling like this trip was a HUGE mistake.

Saturday

*Took a fabulous morning constitutional with Carter and the girls (turns out Saturday morning is NOTHING like Friday night--WHEW!).  Made it all the way to the Venetian!


*Sent Carter off to NAB Conference and hit the pool with the little girls.
*Lost one of Chloe's shoes at the pool--no luck after an extensive search of the area and a visit to Lost and Found (kicked self for not packing more than one pair of shoes per girl).
*Hit the Miracle Mile Shops (with Cinderella riding in the stroller with Tessa) to buy a new pair.
*Had lovely take out Indian dinner with Carter for date night after the girls went to bed.

Sunday

*Walked girls to the Flamingo to see the wildlife preserve.


*Hit the pool after rest time.


*Witnessed the glory that is the Bellagio Fountain (with Carter after he got back from meetings).



Monday

*Walked the ladies to the M&M Store.  Refused to purchase $12 per pound candies when I knew full well that I could get them for $3 at the Walgreens next door (but did buy fun sweatshirts and plush toys out of 50% off bargain bin).


*Visited the lion cubs at the MGM Grand (had to wait around a LONG time for them to come out!)


*Stopped by the Golden Arches (aka McDonald's) for lunch.
*Went to the pool yet again.
*Enjoyed some ALONE time at the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace (Daddy and the girls went to dinner with Daddy's work colleagues at a Thai restaurant).

Tuesday

*Enjoyed The Fall of Atlantis Show at the Forum Shops at Caesars Palace (well, some of us enjoyed it.  Others were frightened nearly to death by the pyrotechnics involved).


*Gaped at the amazing 50,000 gallon aquarium the fountain rests on for so long that we caught another Fall of Atlantis Show (much to Piper's dismay).  Turns out it plays every hour on the hour.


*Pigged out on treats at Serendipity (specifically The Frozen Hot Chocolate and The Humble Pie Sundae.  YUM!!!!).



 *Took in the marvelous views of The Strip.


*Swimming.  Again.
*Enjoyed a quiet dinner party with friends from Carter's mission (and had a FABULOUS time).


Wednesday

*Trekked to Mandalay Bay to visit the Shark Reef Aquarium (first non-free animal encounter of the trip--but I can't say no when kids 5 and under are free!  It was WAAAY cheaper and nicer than the dinky aquarium down the street from us!)


*Bribed children with ice cream at the New York New York so that they would walk back to our hotel (Tessa tried Rocky Road and was a fan).


*Guess what?  Pool time!  But this time at the kiddie pool area instead of the (usual) rooftop one.
*Opted out of buffet line and into McDonald's (but Mommy needed more ALONE time--so she hit the Venetian Shoppes instead!)

Thursday

*Hit the pool one last time.  My fantasy of all six of us in the pool at the same time was met for 30 whole minutes.
*Drove home.

3 comments:

  1. After reading these vegas posts I have a new name for you Kelly...super mom extraordinaire! Seriously, you are my hero. I get stressed trying to take my two kids to the mall alone and you are taking 4 on an amazing "trip". Will you give me some parenting classes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tired just reading this! This is the perfect agenda for me to read as I, this morning, take Lincoln for a 2nd week. You did it w/ 4 in VEGAS. I can do it w/ 2 at HOME. :)

    Impressed you got some alone time... good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, you are amazing!!! Holy cow. I felt the same way when we were on our Arkansas trip - I was totally regretting it on the first night that we were there (because overtired Eli was melting down, throwing fits, being absolutely horrific). But somehow the crying and the moody kids can't seem to completely ruin a family trip :) I am impressed with how much you did by yourself with the four girls. Your writeup made me laugh several times. I forgot about the pornography there. Yuck. But the shopping sounds fantastic!! Enjoy your restful time back at home :)

    ReplyDelete