Monday, April 5, 2010

Snookie and The Bunny

I really, really enjoyed Conference this weekend.  It seemed like almost all the talks were instruction and encouragement geared towards parents.  I especially enjoyed Elder Ballard's talk on Saturday morning about mothers and daughters and Elder Bradley D. Foster's on Sunday afternoon about the importance of motherhood.  We certainly try hard to raise our children according to correct principles and to help our daughters develop integrity and spiritual strength.  But after a couple of incidents this weekend, it's obvious I need to try a little harder.

First of all, there was the "Self-Tanner Issue."  A couple of people noticed that Tessa is looking a little orange these days.  My brothers (who hadn't seen her in a while) said that she reminded them of Snookie from Jersey Shore because "she's short and orange.  And kinda fat."  I've never seen that show, but after a Google search, I kinda get where they're coming from:


Of course, anyone looks pretty tan if they sit  by Sadie (who, according to her grandfather, has "luminescent" aka incredibly pale skin) and Piper (who normally doesn't have glowing white skin, but after all the surgical procedures is looking a little peaked these days).  I swear it's an optical illusion and that I don't put any tanning lotion on her.  Also, Tessa ADORES baby food.  I've never experienced anything like this.  She'll eat container after container of mushed up veggies.  Her favorites:  carrots, sweet potatoes, and squash.  Having these particular foods as a major part of your diet can definitely turn you the hue of an Oompa Loompa.  Still, I plan on bringing it up with my doctor VERY soon.  I don't want my kids resembling anyone from Jersey Shore in the least.

Another incident that made me question my vigilance was when Piper tried on all her Easter gifts.  The Easter Bunny was kind enough to give each girl a set of bunny ears, as you can see from our picture from yesterday.  He also brought each girl a swim suit to wear on an upcoming trip.  Piper was utterly delighted by her suit.


Unfortunately, the Easter Bunny failed to think about what Piper would look like if she put the bunny ears on while wearing the new suit.  I had to nix that combo really fast.  After all, I don't want my daughters (however young they may be) running around in any costume that looks like it could have been designed by Hugh Hefner (there were no pictures taken of that incident--I have no desire to end up in jail).

Constant vigilance really is important.  I promise to try harder.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post. I did.

    But the weirdest part, is how in that last picture of Piper, it looks like a four-year old Laura is sitting behind her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it nice, though, that at this stage in the game, any lack of vigilence only results in orange hued skin, and Hugh-ed looking costumes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the talks seemed VERY focused on family and teaching in the home. It was something I definately needed a kick in the pants about, especially after having all of them home for 4 weeks and getting ready to push them all out the door.
    Madelyn was always orange, too. My pediatrician said it was from the carrots, sweet potatoes, etc. They didn't see any harm in it. But you could ask your pediatrician what they think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh. As long as Tessa doesn't start rocking the "Snooki Pouf" for her new hairstyle, she should avoid any more comparisons to that awful girl on that stupid show.

    Side note: I'm proud of you for not ever watching Jersey Shore and not knowing who Snooki is. Even my mom throws out the phrase "Snooki Pouf" every once in while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to try the carrot juice and sweet potato diet so I can be more like Tessa and less luminescent and peaked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are hilarious!! this post made me laugh so hard. and now I'm feeling inspired to eat more orange vegetables to get a little more color... I'm in the more luminescent category :)

    ReplyDelete