Specifically, HER feelings.
This one made me smile. Chloe really does love to draw. I'm glad she realizes how happy it makes her.
And then I got to this picture (you should probably click on it so you can see all the details):
This page illustrates an incident that occurred at school last week. An obviously traumatic incident in which Chloe was asked to pass off the skill of tying a shoe. Apparently this is a skill that all first graders are required to have but I had no idea she was going to be tested on it so soon (and without any instruction in class--no, they're too busy going over COLORS that my 2-year-old can handle). Anyway, she failed because she has always worn shoes that are either slip-on or Velcro. I believe these are personal fashion choices that the school has NO RIGHT to infringe on (teehee, only kidding). But yeah, as a mother of four under seven, there aren't a lot of tie shoes in this house. Not even for grown ups. I never wear them and if Carter does, he tends not to tie them. But as you'll notice at the top of the page, I'm singled out as an enabler. I am tying Chloe's shoe even though she is saying she will do it. Yikes. A guilt trip in pictograph form. You can also see her watching a little boy in her class pass it off while she fails to do so. And a stern "NO" with a pointing finger pointing at an obviously mortified Chloe is identifiable in the lower left hand corner. I was still feeling bad about her failing that test (if my daughter's recount of her humiliation weren't enough, the teacher kindly sent a couple of notes home about how I needed to work with her on it). Now, after studying this picture, I think we both need counseling.
On to happier feelings. This is what Chloe likes to do in the sun:
Since we don't drink a whole lot of lemonade around here, I'm wondering if she's being influenced by primary songs.
And finally, this is what Chloe likes to do on rainy days:
I never knew first grade class work could be such a window to the soul.
Time for some lace ups in the house! I am sure she will catch on super fast. James learned in an hour much to my surprise. He scored himself a trip to chuck E Cheeses that same night. Good luck Chloe! And you too Kelly & Cart! Lovely drawings Chloe!
ReplyDeleteShe can tie them now! We've been working on it lots this week. I just feel bad that the whole testing thing made HER feel so bad. She told me that she drew that picture a few days ago, right after it happened. So I think she's gotten over it. Whew!
ReplyDeleteSo they HAD a test in school, to see who could tie their shoes?
ReplyDeleteThat's kind of unfair...isn't it?
OH my goodness. That does seem unfair, especially if they didn't go over the steps first! Those drawings are the best - Chloe is an excellent artist, even if the one about what makes her sad is pretty sad. I'm glad Chloe is feeling better now!
ReplyDeleteYou'd be surprised how many kids can't tie their shoes, recite their address, or say their telephone number. In the past all of these things were kind of expected to be done at home. I'm sorry Chloe had a traumatic experience. Her teacher could have handled it a little more delicately, but good for Chloe for recognizing a limitation and working hard to achieve success. That kind of attitude will take her places. And good for mom for helping her work on the skill. If I were in your position I don't know that the girls would have any footwear let alone ones that can be fastened with complex buckles and ties. Thank goodness for velcro.
ReplyDeleteI love all the details of those pictures. Madelyn shows a lot of her soul through art, too. I'm not sure how to see Hannah's soul, yet. She's pretty quiet about everything.
ReplyDeleteDitto on the slip-ons/velcro. I don't see our grandchildren ever needing to learn the archaic skill of tying a shoelace. Shoelaces? What are THOSE?!
as long as there is basketball, there will be shoelaces.
ReplyDeleteMnyah- who knows if Van Gogh could tie his shoes.
ReplyDelete"May I ask what you got?"
ReplyDeleteI love thos pictures. Hopefully she will learn that shoelaces are so overrated. I can't think of one pair of fabulous high heels that has laces.
ReplyDelete