Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Disappointed Fan

I am a Dan Brown fan. I am not ashamed to admit it. In fact, I have been known to trot this fact out when I'm in an argument with a Louis L'Amour or Stephanie Meyer fan to illustrate that I'm not a complete literary snob and can enjoy a lowbrow, best-selling author just as much as the next person. I admit his writing is pretty clunky (click here for Dan Brown's 20 Worst Sentences), but the man can weave art history in with a good conspiracy thriller, which is something I really appreciate. So I was pretty excited when September 15th rolled around. My pre-ordered Kindle edition of Brown's latest, The Lost Symbol, was magically delivered via whispernet in the middle of the night (for less than the price of a paperback!). I could hardly wait to tear into it.

I heard a couple years back that Masonry was to be the subject of Brown's latest novel. In fact, I heard rumors that Joseph Smith was going to factor largely into the novel (which turned out to be a complete lie--there were only two allusions to Mormonism in the novel and neither one of them had a thing to do with Masonry). I went through a major Mason phase where I read every book and website I could get my hands on about Mormons and Masons. I even took my brother on a tour of Temple Square where I explained all the Masonic symbols that are featured there and why the early church leaders would use them. (I would be happy to give any interested parties the tour as long as we get to have the banana dessert at Typhoon at the end. That's a must!) Additionally, I TiVoed every documentary on Masonry on the History Channel. I could tell you things about the Knights Templar that would make your head spin! To say that I was prepared for this book is kind of an understatement.

I just learned the hard way that over-prepping for a Dan Brown is a big mistake. Part of the charm (for me) of The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons was learning arcane trivia about cathedrals in Europe. Since my brain was already swimming in arcane trivia about Masonry, I found myself wishing Albert Pike or Captain Morgan would figure more into the story. I think I had already written my ideal story in my head. Another fun bit that I enjoy in a good Dan Brown is that he always attempts to throw mind benders into the story (Jesus was married! The Holy Grail is actually a woman!). But the concepts of apotheosis and Gnoetic science, which he attempts to muse on in a profound way, felt forced. Maybe it didn't feel earth shattering to me because I already believe in these things. Or maybe because the 30 page denouement that hinged on these ideas felt too implausible. I mean, if I had just endured physical and mental torture that almost killed me and then witnessed a grisly death, I would probably wait until the next day to hike around Washington D.C. tourist sites while discussing these issues with my fellow torturees. But that's just me, I guess.

Another typical Dan Brown move is to have a major plot twist toward the end of the book. Unfortunately, I was able to guess this book's "shocker" 30 chapters out (which I realize may not seem all that early in Dan Brown's choppy world of 2 page chapters). Carter thinks I have an uncanny ability at guessing plots (he's still annoyed that I whispered the ending of The Prestige to him halfway through the movie--but I'm sorry! Any plot twist the hinges on a careful study of Christian Bale's face is one I'm going to pick up on!) and he feels sorry for me. But I get surprised all the time. I never could have guessed the ending of The Sixth Sense or The Life of Pi or even the crazy ending of a little French foreign film called He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (go watch it instantly on NetFlix! It's great!). I can be surprised if the twist is done artfully. I can be surprised when a twist is unexpected. This twist was neither. Poor Dan Brown needs to give up that device! Along with the device of mean investigator that would rather arrest Robert Langdon than listen to him. It's getting old.

Anyway, those are my sad, let down feelings about The Lost Symbol. They were so plentiful that I had to give the review in the center of the blog instead of on the side like usual. But, like a true fan, I still have hope. Hope that Ron Howard can maybe clean up the problems in the movie or that the next Dan Brown will be better. . .

9 comments:

  1. So, if I'm a half-hearted Dan Brown fan (as in read the books but won't admit to being a fan) who hasn't done any preparation for this book would you say to read it or skip it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I guess I'd say read it. But definitely wait for the paperback. The ultra cheap, movie tie-in paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun to read. And I read the whole thing on my iPod, which maybe made the book seem cooler than it was. But yeah, it was enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. as soon as I saw the subject of this post in my reader I thought "uh oh." You were so excited about this book!

    Don't put too much hope in the movie. The Da Vinci Code movie put me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I have anticipated Brown's book for a year now and thought that he had indeed included some Mormon lore into the plot. I heard he was in SLC doing research. What a total disappointment! Not only no LDS stuff but the whole premis was hollow and rather boring. The book could have been half as long and still accomplished what he was trying to say. (which was not much) I only found the landscape inwhich the plot takes place interesting as I spend so much time in DC that I know every location mentioned. No question respecting the Masonic influence in the city, but gee wouldn't have been neat if there had been a secret staircase leading to a trove of books, manuscripts and maybe even some gold plates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know. I do enjoy Dan Brown, even though all his books are pretty much the same. I was waiting for the paperback anyway, but now I may wait even longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh great. Now I've just finished my Strawberry Mini Wheats and I have to look up the definition of denouement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhhh! Wow- I had no I idea that was how you spelled that. Okay, I'm good. And apparently the book isn't. Thanks for the heads up.
    I was over him after the redundant, predictable and unnecessarily vulgar Angels and Demons, but thought maybe this would be the "next Dan Brown will be better." Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When the Sixth Sense came out a bunch of us went to see it at the drive in (can't remember if you were there or if it was just the Liberty Square Divas plus boys), and of course some of us were very late--as in, the scene where Bruce Willis and the boy's mother were sitting facing each other, waiting for him to come home (maybe 25 minutes into the movie). I asked one of the guys (Mitch, if you remember who that was) what we'd missed, and he was like, "Nothing! Shhh just watch the movie!" I pressed him for ANY little tidbit but he was adamant we hadn't missed anything. So at the end when you find out Bruce is actually dead, a bunch of us were like, "HUH??? What a lame movie! This ending makes absolutely no sense!" Then Mitch remembered, "Oh ya, he got shot at the beginning."

    So all these years I've thought, "If I could have only seen the whole movie, or at least had it described to me accurately, I would have totally guessed that ending." But you know what? I did NOT see the Prestige ending coming. So if you did, but didn't see the Sixth Sense ending coming, I might have to finally admit to myself that I'm not quite as prescient as I thought. Thank you for relieving me of that burden!

    ReplyDelete