Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Fourth Child


I met a lady on Friday night who also has a daughter named Tessa. We started talking about the name and she told me the story of how she picked it for her daughter. She found the name on a message board and then met a little girl with the same name at her older child's school. "I asked the girl if she was the fourth child and she was!" the woman explained. "Huh?" I said. "Don't you know that Tessa means fourth child?" she asked. "Wait, what?!?"

As you know, selecting Tessa's name was quite difficult. Meaning came second to the way it sounded and the number of letters/syllables it had, but I did check it before I filled out the birth certificate. The sources I consulted said it was short for "Contessa," but I immediately Googled this new possibility. And I found this:

The girl's name Tessa \t(es)-sa\ is pronounced TESS-ah. It is of English origin. Diminutive of Teresa. Also possibly (Greek) "fourth child".

Let's just say I'm loving the name even more now. How perfect is that?

7 comments:

  1. That IS pretty weird isn't it.... it really is. Think about all the Tessa's out there that AREN'T the fourth child.

    They must feel so out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This name was sooooo meant to be! Well picked Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What????

    You can't write this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Twilight Zone music* I have goosebumps. Okay not really, but it's almost that weird.
    Discovering accidentally that you're a linguist who tapped into your subconscious Greek. Do you also hear in color?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also possibly (Latin) "Fourth Chin"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty awesome!! I love stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete