Carter & Kelly:
We have the same answer! We got to go see Othello at the Adam's Theater. Honestly, it was the most amazing play I have ever seen. The last act is such an emotional roller coaster with the actors screaming and crying and murdering each other. You know, real DRAMA. I ended up studying Othello three different times in college (and I have the papers I had to write to prove it), so I feel like it's the Shakespeare play I know the best. To see it performed LIVE with incredible actors in the roles of Iago and Othello (not to mention in a replica of the Globe Theater) was thrilling for me. We loved it!
Although if you asked Carter, he may say the Cream Cheese Tart we had at intermission was actually his very favorite moment of the trip.
The play brought on one of the most difficult aspects of the trip for me, which was dropping the girls off at the childcare center by the theater while we went to the play. I was REALLY nervous about leaving the kids with people I didn't know, but when we got there everybody was super nice. Plus, Carter had regaled me with enough fond memories from when HE stayed there as a child that I was able to do it. It ended up being just fine and Chloe even begged to go back to the "play place" the next night. Nobody appears to be scarred for life because their mother abandoned them for four hours with strangers. Whew.
Chloe:
When I asked Chloe what she liked the best about the trip, she replied watching cartoons in the motel room. D'oh! (There was some type of Sponge Bob marathon on Nickelodeon, so yeah, that answer was inevitable.) Her next favorite thing was swimming in the pool, but I don't have any pictures of that because Carter and I spent every second we were there trying to keep Sadie from diving into the water. She believes she is part fish and can swim, so keeping her alive took precedence over capturing the water play on film.
The third thing Chloe liked was our trip to Cedar Breaks. She loved the little path we hiked on and was thrilled when she ran into one of her friends from the childcare center up there (that child makes a new "best" friend wherever she goes). And, good news, I have pictures from that!
Piper:
She was a very big fan of the Green Show that we went to on our last night. She really liked the dancing and singing. And she loved the May Pole they used during one portion of the show. Also, Carter bought her a huge sucker to smear all over her face and hands while she was watching, so she was pretty psyched.
Sadie:
She's kind of a tough customer and since she can't really talk, I can only infer which parts of the trip she liked. She was concentrating pretty hard on the Green Show, but I'm not sure that indicates she liked it because she had such a scowl on her face:
So, I will name the banana she ate after our hike as her favorite part of the trip . I KNOW she liked that.
If you made it to the end of this, thank you for being patient with our vacation photos. And, if you can get down to Cedar City and the Shakespearean Festival, all five members of the Carter Durham Family HIGHLY recommend it.
Kelly, dear,
ReplyDeleteYou are truly preserving memories for your ENTIRE family to share and enjoy forever. Thank you!! (I'd have liked the banana, too!)
XO,
Mimi
How fun! It feels like a real accomplishment to go on your first family vaca, eh? It's tough without grandparents or sibs to help out with kiddos. I'm impressed you and Carter got out for a play without them! I would like to go to the Shakespearean (sp?) festival someday. It's just convincing Matt... Maybe a girl's trip is in order.
ReplyDeleteKiley,
ReplyDeleteI'd like to get in on that girls trip. And Kelly, my vote is for the Maypole. They have a kid version of it every year at the Living Traditions festival at the Salt Lake County Building. I have a feeling your girls would love it.
It looks like a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteAnd that picture of your family at Cedar Breaks is kind of spooky because the Tom Durham family has numerous pictures just like that, maybe even in that same spot.
What a fun little trip...loved hearing what the highlights of the trip were for the girls. You are SO lucky - you have one heck of a husband! I'm not so sure Stephen would have been so eager to go to the Shakespearean Festival.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for A) taking your own family vaca (that is BIG)... B) leaving the girls at a care center to C) indulge in something you love. Looks like it was a great trip!
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite parts of the trip was the waffle maker that the hotel had in the lobby with the complimentary breakfast. One of my least favorite parts was purchasing a swimming suit at Walmart since I forgot to pack mine.
ReplyDeletedude that family picture looks just like one of our family at bryce or something....weird. And the pic of you and carter is ADORABLE!
ReplyDeleteha, I didn't realized laura said the same thing- and that WAFFLE maker! honestly! You can buy those, and diane goldman's husband (I forget his name) like it so much, that he went out and bought one for his family. funny.
ReplyDeleteOh! Your family is so cute! It's good to see that you all are doing so well!
ReplyDeleteZach Underwood
http://underwoodpartyof5.blogspot.com
I love family vacations! Your trip looks great. I love that pic of you and Carter together and the family one below it.
ReplyDeleteLis,
ReplyDeleteHis name is Larry. And he would sit in the breakfast lobby for hours just so he could be the waffle maker "instructor" for those who weren't sure how to use it.