Today she walked on her own two feet around the block, waited patiently for the driver:
and then fearlessly loaded herself onto the school bus (I offered to drive her for the big day, but she insisted on taking public transportation. How green of her, no?):
Then she went off by herself to school, looking all tiny and cute:
She was so brave! I wish I could say the same for myself. I was left fighting a lump the size of Rhode Island in my throat as I pushed the stroller home. I immediately unloaded the little girls and spent the next hour going through Chloe's entire life in pictures. Honestly, how can the first day of school already be here?
Anyway, we all survived. Although, I have to admit, Miss Chloe wasn't as chipper hopping OFF the bus. Apparently the fact that one bus takes her to school and another takes her home really threw her for a loop. She said she was "feeling very worried" that they wouldn't take her to "the right house." I asked her if that made her cry and she said no, it made her mad to be worried. (Uh, what should I do for the bus driver who had to deal with her following that incident? Cookies? A tip? They CANNOT be paying that person enough!) Then we had a long talk (lasting the entire walk home and then some) about how, during stations time, the yellow table (her table) had to play with blocks when she "was expecting to do the puzzles station or play with the kitchen" instead. She's still skeptical that she'll get to do something besides "dumb blocks" tomorrow, but I think I managed to talk her through that major emotional blow. Once the realization that the bus got her to the right spot sunk in, and that she could potentially be making pretend toast in that sweet kitchen tomorrow, the clouds lifted and she told me all the highlights of the day. Those included some letter cookies and a nice trip to the playground for recess. She was all smiles before too long:
Here she is donning her School is Cool crown and showing off her certificate praising her for making it through the first day of school.
I'm pretty sure she'll give kindergarten, school bus and all, another shot tomorrow. I hope I'll be strong enough to. I was worried they'd take her to the wrong house, too.
Wow! What a big girl! I never took a bus to school. I had to walk.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you both made it through.
OH Kelly!! I will be in TEARS when Eli starts kindergarten. That's pretty cute though that she opted for the bus and that you looked through her life in pictures.
ReplyDeleteCongrats Kelly & Chloe! I was cracking up at her comments and things that "worried" her. What an intense, smart, Diva, WONDERFUL child she is! I also loved the picture of her little head on the big bus. Big day, my friend, big day.
ReplyDeleteAm I a bad parent that I can't WAIT till Jack starts school? Maybe it's just a phase.
ReplyDeleteI love that pic of her getting on the bus. No one messes with Chloe.
Last time I saw Chloe in person was 5 years ago at LJ's wedding reception (I think) so it's hard to believe that the little mini-me Katie is in school already! Isn't it really early to be starting school anyway? Anyway, congrats on making it through the first big day!
ReplyDeleteUPDATE: Thankfully the yellow table got to go to the puzzles station today! We had a MUCH happier little kindergartener come off the bus today.
ReplyDeleteLisa, I thought I'd be psyched for Chloe to go. And I was right up until the moment I had to put her on that bus.
Lindsey, we are on year-round (aka "tracks") in this school district, hence the early start. I fought like crazy to get her on the "A" track afternoon kindergarten class. It took two visits and five phone calls (I wore them down!).
Where's your crown for making it through the day? I have one...
ReplyDeleteCongrats! This is a great big step and you all handled it very nicely.
Oh,li'l Chloe! My heart goes out. It's a big, scary world out there, until they give you the letter shaped cookies at school! Then it's all A-Okay. I'm glad to know that both kindergartener an Mommy had a better second day! Awwwww, love the pics!!!!
ReplyDeleteXO,
Auntie Mimi