Thursday, August 7, 2008

Immunize By Two, It's Up to You!

I absolutely hate taking my kids in to get their shots (well, that makes them sound like puppies. I guess I should say immunizations). Honestly, I wish I couldn't picture what diphtheria (or tetanus or polio, etc) would be like so well in my head. I'd skip the shots all together if it weren't for my fertile imagination. Today was Sadie's 15-month well-baby check up (although that turned out to be a misnomer as she had ANOTHER set of ear infections. Yes, we are well on our way to my other favorite procedure, tubes. Goody!). Anyway, Sadie kind of knew what was coming when the nurse and I pinned her down on the table. And she definitely knew when the (3!) needles were aimed at her meaty little thighs. I HATE the look she shoots me, as if to say, "Et tu, Mommy?" Aren't I the one that's supposed to protect her from crazy people wielding sharp objects? I always have to avert my eyes, not only to block the betrayed facial expression on my sweet little baby's face but to avoid catching a glimpse of the little rivulets of blood that trickle down her tiny little legs (I am a fainter, after all). And then the screams come. The ear-drum-shattering, earth-shaking wails (where she holds her breath so long that her lips turn blue) that make my skin crawl. Seriously, I need counseling after these appointments. My girls have been pretty forgiving and very fast to forget, thankfully. After a couple of cuddles, they usually start to smile again. It takes much longer for me to recover. Immunize by two, it's up to you, they say. Well, I wish that "you" wasn't me, that's for sure. Still, it beats diphtheria, right?

3 comments:

  1. UGH. I hate doctor's appointments that involve immunizations. Hate hate hate them. And now I'm really not looking forward to Eli's 15-month-appointment in a few weeks. Eli does NOT forget so easily... I'm glad Sadie gave you a smile not too long after getting all of those shots! And I agree, it's better than getting diptheria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or Polio! I mean, FDR was a great President and all, but...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this post made me a little nervous! I have Lily's 15 month apt in a couple weeks and I am dreading the shots too! It is nice that the kids are so forgiving :) I loved to see how much Sadie enjoys eating, and smearing, and smooshing her food everywhere! After Lily is done eating I am often fearful of picking her up....I don't want all of that smooshed food all over me!

    ReplyDelete