Friday, December 30, 2011

Best Books of 2011

This post is dedicated to those of you that have sorely missed my book reviews, which have fallen entirely by the wayside.  All three of you. 

Yes, I do still read even if I am too lazy to do reviews anymore.   In 2011, I read a total of 39 books.   (Although I'm halfway through two right now,  I'm not counting them in the total as there is no way I will finish them by tomorrow.   Especially considering I was just diagnosed with acute keratitis and can hardly see anything.  Ugh.)  Amongst the titles were two unpublished works (still honored to have gotten a copy of a fantastic first novel by a dear friend and still mortified how long it took me to get to it!).  Most were works of fiction.  If you want a complete list, email me.  If you're looking for something good to read, here are a few suggestions from me:

*If you are wishing that you could live in Paris during the 20's, read this: 
 
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain


I suppose I could have also suggested this to Ernest Hemingway fans as this is a fictionalized account of his relationship with his first wife.  But I'm not a big Hemingway fan myself and I really liked this.  I enjoy literature than can transport you to a certain place and time.  This fits the bill.

*If you want to make yourself feel a little better about NOT living in France, read this: 

Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran


Man, that French Revolution was something else.  I was entertained and educated at the same time.  Historical fiction can be so fun!

*If you hate Heart of Darkness (and Joseph Conrad), but kind of like the idea of a journey down a river into to the depths of a jungle, read this:   

State of Wonder by Ann Patchet


Yes, I refer to this as Heart of Darkness done right.  Indelible characters struggling to survive in the wilds of South America, with a haunting medical mystery that keeps the pages turning are waiting for you in this delightful read.  So well done!

*If you are looking for a good Gothic mystery, read this:   

The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson


I could have also recommended this to those of you who prize your sense of smell, as I have never read a book that describes scents so beautifully.  This is another book set in France (the south this time--can you tell what I was obsessed with this year?) that deals with both a modern and a turn of the century mystery that unravel in the glorious lavender fields of the countryside.  Sigh.

*If you want a magical mystery tour, read this:
 
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


If pressed to choose, this would be my favorite novel of the year.  I devoured this delightful tale of a magical circus and a doomed romance in just a couple of days.  I found myself pouring over this hours past my bedtime, unable to put it down.  I picked this for my stint as Book Club Hostess in June.  You won't be sorry for having read this imaginative tale.

*If you liked the Red Tent by Anita Diamant, read this:
 
The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman


I am always fascinated by Jewish mysticism and culture, but I was especially taken by the spin Alice Hoffman gave it.  As usual, she focuses on the supernatural powers of the feminine in this story about women staying in the stronghold of Masada after Jerusalem falls to Rome in 70 AD.  Fascinating (and educational!) stuff.  I loved it!


Honorable Mentions:  Room by Emma Donaghue, The Submission by Amy Waldman, 50 Dresses That Changed the World, Howard's End by E.M. Forster, Bossypants by Tina Fey, and Swamplandia by Karen Russll



What about you?  Did you read anything good this year? 

3 comments:

  1. If you have four children and managed to read more than 39 books this year, I'd like to know who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you like The Paris Wife too. That was a good one. I need to read all of your suggestions. I'm amazed by how many books you read this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your book suggestions! So sorry you're having eye problems, that's horrible!! Hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete