Wednesday, October 19, 2011

One Year Ago Today . . .

. . . I was on an airplane headed here:




I don't think I've ever been on a trip* that has affected me so profoundly. Looking back, I realize Italy  was a feast for my senses. I was able to see  architectural wonders and artistic masterpieces that inform the culture in which I live--places I'd read about for years in books and longed to see with my own eyes became real to me. I got to taste the glories of handmade gelato after a long afternoon of sightseeing. I got to smell the incredibly fresh and satisfying meals in lovely restaurants and enjoy the tinkling melody that the Italian language was to my ears. Even thinking back on the feeling of the rain on my face in Venice makes me happy. The trip turned out to be a well of inspiration that never goes dry--I think of my escapades touring through Rome, Florence, and Venice every single day.  My time there has improved all my time since. The fact that I got to experience it all with my best friend/companion/partner (as a celebration of our life together thus far), well, that makes it even more special to me.  I'm so grateful/thankful/joyful that we got to do this.  And I always will be.


*Check  here, here and here for trip recaps.  I know I will be revisiting them today.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, that. I'd forgotten about that Italy trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just kidding. That trip was so cool. I can't believe it's been a year. And as miserable as Venice was at the time, I would kill to be there in the rain now!

    ReplyDelete