Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sadie's Artistic Prowess

Over the past couple of weeks I've come to appreciate a budding artist we have here in our midst.  Miss Sadie has been churning out some pretty great works and I just had to share a few of my favorite.

The first requires a bit of explanation.  During General Conference, I try to have the girls watch two sessions with us (I tend to do one each day).  To make things a little more fun and interesting, we select 4 or 5 words before the session begins (ex: temple, prayer, children).  Every time you hear that word during the talks, you get to run up and grab a piece of candy from the candy bowl.  Think PeeWee's Playhouse Secret Word of the Day, only with a lot less yelling and a lot more calories.  In order to help us all remember what the special words are, we draw pictures and hang them up in the room where we're watching.  Somehow Sadie got assigned the word "God" to illustrate for the Sunday morning session:



Carter and I thought this was hilarious.  We're pretty sure this is Old Testament God (or perhaps the Headless Horseman in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow?).  When Sadie saw us laughing, she said, "Well, I did the best I could."  I have to applaud her for grappling with God so early in her career.

Sadie has also been turning out self-portraits like crazy.  Terribly introspective of her, no?  They're all very similar.  She's always wearing a horizontal striped shirt and has a flower in her hair.  The stripes and the hair change color, but everything else is the same.  Here is one of my favorites (because she made herself blond, it's the more accurate than the one where she had green hair):



Finally, she drew this one just for me:



It's me and Sadie.  Together, with half the sky colored.  ("I got sick of coloring, so I'm just going to leave it." she explained when she handed it to me.)  Unfortunately, Tessa got a hold of it and added her mark (the pink scribbling was not in the original and pretty much devastated Sadie--ahh, yet another burgeoning artist.  Perhaps she's trying to play Gauguin to Sadie's Van Gogh?  Let's just hope nobody loses an ear over here!).  I told Sadie I thought it was perfect.  And I do.  I hope she draws me lots more.

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures are fantastic!! What a great artist at such a young age. That picture of the two of you together is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete