Here's what I read last month:
I'll be honest here: I didn't finish the last 20 pages of this book because it was due back at the library. But I will say that I enjoyed this book, which is a series of short stories that all take place in one New England town. It starts with the founding of the town and moves into modern day. I loved how characters from the story before would pop up in the next and certain family lines came all the way down to modern day. I also loved when Johnny Appleseed planted the magical tree and a certain "monster" saved a little boy from a bear. Like most of Alice Hoffman's book, there is a certain magic in the natural world and it was charming to read about the mystical red garden.
Chloe and I really enjoyed reading the third installment of the Harry Potter series. I have to admit, we're getting into some pretty scary territory, what with the escaped convicts and werewolves that are so prevalent in the this book. And don't even get me started on the Dementors. But the scarier the book is, the more Chloe loves it. So for the moment, we're proceeding with caution in our reading. Thankfully the littler girls drop off to sleep within minutes! Anyway, I really like this book and think it's one of the strongest in the series. I love Sirius Black and I'm glad Chloe has now been introduced to him! Plus, the time bending climax is pretty awesome.
Everyone knows how I feel about The All of It, as I've blogged about it before. I had the pleasure of re-reading it this month because I selected it for my stint at hosting book club. It holds up very well to a third reading (in less than a year!), let me tell you. If you decide to read this book for yourself, email me because I put together a fun packet for the group (with the help of my mother-in-law) and I have tons left. I'll gladly mail one to you!
I'll never forget sitting in Mr. Bond's seventh grade social studies class, listening to him tell the story of how Madame Tussaud would have to dig through guillotined heads at the graveyard each night so that she could make wax figures of important people killed during the French Revolution. The story so enchanted me that I made sure to visit her wax museum when I was in London many years later. So you can imagine how excited I was to find this new work of historical fiction based on her life. I LOVED IT!!! It sucked me in and entertained me to no end (and taught me a few things as well! Even better!). She was a fascinating woman that led an incredible life and I'm glad I got to spend a few days immersed in it. I am also dying to go to France now!
This is a very interesting study on the Puritans that helped found Massachusetts. Ms. Vowell examines important figures such as Winthrop, Cotton, Williams, and Ann Hutchinson and shows the legacy they have wrought in American thought and culture today. Did you know the 2004 Presidential debate was between descendants of Winthrop and Hutchinson? I didn't before I read this! Anyway, it's a good lesson in history. And Sarah Vowell injects it with humor, which is appreciated. I gave this book to my dad so that we could discuss it. He liked it, aside from the liberal rants against Ronald Regan (his words). If you can stand that, you might enjoy it as well.





No comments:
Post a Comment