First up is Coco Before Chanel. Ooh, la la! This movie is looooong (over two and a half hours, subtitled in French), but time wasn't an issue for me. I love a good biopic and Miss Coco's doesn't disappoint. Throw in a marvelous turn by Alessandro Nivola (who knew he was fluent in French? And so magnetic?) and I was hooked. Coco's menswear inspired duds were fantastic. And the dress she has made to dance at the seaside casino was truly remarkable. I have added "Own A Chanel Suit (Or At Least A Good Knock-Off)" onto my bucket list thanks to this movie.
Trend I'll Adopt: Well, until I get that suit, I'll copy Coco's stripey, sailor-inspired long sleeved t-shirt that I loved. I bought one in Italy and I plan to wear it soon! And pearls! I need to wear my pearls more!
Next comes An Education. I've seen this movie several times now and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites! It's like it was designed for me. London during the 60s? Check. A marvelous cameo by Emma Thompson? Check. The most hilarious supporting characters ever (I'm looking at you Graham and Helen!)? Check. A montage of Paris? Check. A fantastically written story with an excellent moral? Check. Love, love, love it. The dress Jenny wears while that montage runs had me ever so envious. Ooh, and the dress she wears to the race-track was also heavenly!
Thankfully, I found a good substitute that marries bits of both dresses (and will come home with me just as soon as it goes on sale)!

Trend I'll Adopt: Um, like I said. That Tuileries dress will be mine. And perhaps I'll try a teased up-do like the ones Helen and Jenny rock when they're out on the town with their handsome men!
Finally, I must submit Easy Virtue into this trifecta of fashionable films (I just watched it this morning). Personally, I think this movie would be worth watching just for the mambo Colin Firth does at the end. But beside that, Jessica Biel's wardrobe of wide-legged trousers and slinky gowns is simply divine. Ooh, and her bleached blond bob was marvelous as well. I think becoming a blond (even just for an evening) might have crept onto that bucket list as well after that!
Trend I'll Adopt: While the wide-legged trouser trend this season is reading more 1970s than 1920s, I think I'll invest in a pair. They looked so dreamy with the art deco/cubism-inspired tops Larita wore. I hope I can find one of those, too!
So there you have it: cinema with a sartorial spin. Warning: if you watch all three of these films, you will see roughly 6000 cigarettes smoked. Not so fashionable in my book.
And I swear I'll fix my kids a proper meal before I tweak my wardrobe!!!!






Oh Kelly!! The divas have had a rough couple of weeks. I hope you feel better soon. I love the movie An Education too! I'll definitely check out Easy Virtue.
ReplyDelete