Chloe, on the other hand, hates her ears almost as fiercely as I love them. She maintains that her ears are "private" (her word) and puts up a MAJOR fight whenever I attempt a hairstyle that shows them off. I try to explain that if you want to have long hair AND participate in the see-how-many-days-it-is-possible-to-go-without-washing it contest, you're gonna have to have a ponytail day sooner or later. This morning we had yet another one of these stand-offs.
Thankfully, I had a plan. Armed with a new stash of hair ribbons procured from Michael's this weekend and feeling inspired by one of my favorite old-school 80's hairdos, I convinced her to let me try an experiment. Chloe was skeptical as I worked. Here's a sample of our conversation:
Chloe: What if the boys make fun of me?
Me: Well, have the boys ever made fun of you before?
Chloe: No.
Me: Have you seen them make fun of someone else?
Chloe: No.
Me: I think you're safe, then.
Huh, I wonder which parent she got those excellent worrying skills from? She is her mother's daughter as much as her father's. I'm telling you, people, reproduction is amazing!
Here's how it all turned out:
When she saw it in the mirror, she approved and went off to the bus as happy as a clam. Of course, I had to recreate the look for Piper also. But I'm just relieved she's giving ponytails a go. I suspect this look might become all the rage around this house.
But how can I get her to understand what a miracle her ears are?!?
Hmmm. While she's asleep one night you could get some costume rubber ears and gum them onto her real ears. When she wakes up and sees herself in the mirror, she'll wish she had her old ears back. Then the next night, while she's asleep, take them off. I can think of two possible outcomes from this experience- one of them would be a new appreciation for her ears.
ReplyDeleteI wanna see the front! I've never seen her with her hair up. It would be weird to see her ears.
ReplyDeleteI want to see her ears!
ReplyDeletemaybe she should get them pierced so she will want to show them off? (I am SUCH a bad auntie influence!)
ReplyDeleteDitto- I want to see her ears, too! I'm with Jess on the piercing...LOL.
ReplyDeleteI agree - show her beautiful ears so we can admire them too! I love the hairstyle.
ReplyDeleteCongrats! That hair is awesome!
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine the mustering of energy with four girls for hair-do time!
Just two girls hair puts me down.
I totally understand the power of newborn ears: during one of my last ultrasounds I caught an up close glimpse of one of Sinjin's ears and started crying at how perfect it was. Can't wait to see Chloe's :)
ReplyDelete