Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fit To Be Tied

Like most mothers, I was inundated with forms to fill out during the first few days of school. I signed everything from emergency contact cards to publicity release forms (yes, call me crazy, but I will allow a photographic image of Chloe to appear on a bulletin board in the school.) Who knows, in my haste to get through the paperwork, I may have even signed over my first born to the school district. My recollection is hazy, but apparently I filled out a form (and even sent in money!) for a class t-shirt. For some reason, I ticked the "large" box. I guess I figured we were dealing in kids' sizes and that a too big t-shirt would be better than a too tight one. Perhaps I was banking on the fact that cheap t-shirts tend to shrink. Yesterday the shirts came in--just in time to wear to the Jog-A-Thon that's taking place today. Despite washing it in the hottest water possible and drying it on high heat, this is how she looked:


It just doesn't fit. I tried to channel Tim Gunn and "make it work" by rolling up the sleeves and putting another shirt under it, but it just doesn't. This shirt would be baggy on me. Heck, it would be baggy on my 6'4'' brother. Heidi would definitely auf wiedersehen this look. I don't know what to do. She's supposed to wear this thing EVERY Friday and on field trips. Despite the fact I ordered the wrong size, I am fond of the concept of the shirt. All the kids did self-portraits and they are fabulous. Here's a blurry close-up of Chloe's:


Stupid camera. It never works right. Especially when Chloe is trying to wiggle away. Anyway, speaking of Chloe's artwork and blurry pictures of it, here is the program from one of the three concerts that took place this weekend as part of the The Youth Music Festival:


She was commissioned by her grandmother (who was in charge of the whole thing) to create a drawing about music. I couldn't get her to spend more than about five minutes on it, but even so, I think it turned out pretty well. Since our weekend was packed with super fun activities like surgery, getting a new roof, and being in charge of a stake Young Single Adult activity, we weren't able to participate in the festival. That is, participate beyond Chloe's rendering of a music concert. They recorded a "From the Top" program on Friday night and had a neat concert for families on Saturday. Last night the Utah Chamber Artists performed with a high school choir (Carter did sing in that one--I guess we did participate more than I thought). From what I hear, it was amazing. I'm sorry we had to miss out.

But back to that t-shirt. What do I do? Have another one made? Do like the Gap Girls and cinch it with a belt? Cut out the portraits and sew it on to a different shirt? Attempt to tailor this one? Or just send my kid out into the world looking a bit silly? Suggestions, please!

10 comments:

  1. My only suggestion is to wear as is, or find a kid whose parent accidentally ticked the "small" box for their.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think what you've got going isn't so bad. She'll appreciate the shirt underneath in the cool weather... sleeve rolling is cool...(?) and yeah, add a belt and she's good to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Cart. It would be WAY too big on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think she looks that silly. But I also wear guy jeans from Old Navy just because they're long enough and don't make me look fatter, and don't care if my kids' socks are the same color when we are in a hurry to go to the park.

    I hope your next week is a lot less hectic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me preface my answer with a story about a mom messing up and having to fix it...

    Last Wednesday Zach got his mission call. With the call comes a packet of information about the mission and instructions. I thought it would be a good idea to take it to dinner and read over it at the restaurant that night. I left it in the car. Thursday morning I found the packet on the floor of the car in a puddle of my spilled diet coke. WORST MOM EVER! Hysteria ensued and the duration of Thursday was spent rectifying this situation. (I didn't tell Zach until crisis solved!)

    I tell you this story so you know what I nut I can be. If she is going to have to wear it every Friday I would find out who has the art work for the shirt and where they had the shirts made. I would call and plead my case and beg them to make another shirt. If they can't do it I would take the art work and find a place online that will make a custom shirt. Excessive? Maybe, but that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could fill a small reservoir with the spilled Diet Coke in-a-car incidents in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would try to have a smaller shirt made. Otherwise I think she will dread Fridays when she has to wear such a huge shirt! But that's just me - I think the other solutions are good ones too.

    (I think I'm just sensitive to it because as a kid, t-shirts were ALWAYS too big for me in my petite stature... I just wanted one that fit)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shirt. I've noticed how all teenage girls are gathering their shirts in the back and either putting them in a knot at the bottom of their back or using a hair tie. It actually looks good, and makes normal t-shirts more fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I too was in a similar situation with James' shirt, but checked a medium instead of the large. His will be okay....he's a boy after all. They wear baggy stuff! For Chloe,,,I would probably call the store where the shirt was made and get one Chloe's size, then cut and sew the middle part on. Her shirt will definitely be unique (in a cute way), but it will fit! Gathering the shirt in the back is not a bad idea either. Give that a try first.

    ReplyDelete