Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Park City Escape

It finally happened! The long awaited Durham Ladies' Park City Escape took place this weekend! We've been planning this and looking forward to it for ages.

The Companions:

My gorgeous and hilarious sisters-in-law, Lisa and Laura. The absolute highlight of the whole weekend was getting to spend time laughing and talking with them! Becky came up for one night, too, which was fabulous!

The Accommodations:

Lisa booked us at the Westgate Inn. It was very swank and comfortable, complete with a jacuzzi right in the room:

Even if there was a bit of confusion about if the adjoining suite door should be locked or unlocked (the hotel decided locked halfway through our stay, leaving us with just one king size bed instead of two!), we loved this place!

The Activities:

After a trip to the Tanger Outlets on Friday, we hit the mountain for rides on both the Alpine slide and coaster (thanks to Katie and Kevin who provided the tickets!):





The guys working the coaster gave a us another ride for free. We were pumped because that thing is FUN!



After that adrenaline rush, Becky treated us to dinner at Cisero's and then we went back to the hotel for dessert and the debate. Well, Becky watched the debate. We went to the pool and then watched Baby Mama (don't worry, I watched the debate in its entirety later that weekend). On Saturday we slept in and then had lunch and shopping on Main Street. Then it was time for the spa:


We were excited for our spa party package that included a facial, a massage, and a pedicure. This is the picture of the relaxation room they put on the internet. I don't know why because it in no way resembles the spa at all. In reality, the "relaxation room" was the dusty, cluttered showroom of the adjoining furniture store (picture us trying to cover up in our robes as we braced for potential browsers). Yeah, and ironically there were only two chairs for the three of us to share! We had to wait in line to use the one changing room/bathroom. Dogs roamed the halls and Lisa lost a great deal of blood during her pedicure. But I think the piece de resistance of this spa was the attempted fleecing that occurred during check-out (they tried to charge us each $65 more by claiming they "couldn't remember the specifics" of the appointments we booked). Needless to say, fighting the receptionist over the bill is not the ideal way to end a relaxing trip to the spa. Never, ever, ever go to Align Spa in Park City. I've been writing strongly worded emails to them in my head for days. But still, I think a horrible spa experience is better than no spa experience! We ate oatmeal for dinner (still smarting from the financial agreement we brokered with the spa) and watched another movie (Disturbia). After one more sleep in, it was back to reality.

We are SO making this an annual thing. We'll just find a better spa next year . . .

Thanks to Lisa for the pictures and to Carter for making this happen for me!

8 comments:

  1. I knew I could count on you to blog about the escape to PC!

    I wish we could go up again this weekend. It was way fun. Thanks for the idea Kelly!

    I may have to take you clothes shopping more often

    ReplyDelete
  2. That spa day SOUNDS fun - so sorry it didn't turn out to be quite so fabulous. How nice that you had a fun weekend getaway though!! That is relaxing in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT for you girls! Relaxing, good bonding... well deserved! And hey, the spa experience just makes for a funny memory, right? Maybe not now, but I'm sure you'll laugh in a few years.

    P.S. I can't believe how much Laura looks like Carter in that first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little freaked out about how much I look like mom in my picture.

    I intend to forward your blog on to the Align Spa. They need to know the truth.

    And you forgot to mention the lingering spa treatment givers that hovered around while the receptionist asked OUT LOUD how much we'd like to leave for gratuity.
    PSH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I look like Laura in that picture; my hair's way shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WAIT- you got that picture off of Align's WEBSITE??? That is what they are advertising as their RELAXATION ROOM???

    Fuming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it that you got to do this! I want to start a tradition like this....

    ReplyDelete