Friday, August 19, 2011

The Kell's Belles Summer Survival Guide

Folks, I did it!  I made it through summer.  Today is the last day of summer vacation and I'm not a) in a mental institution or b) dead.  (I'll tell you something.  I wasn't sure either of those things would be true when the kids got out of school back in June.  I was rather fragile back then.)  I endured all the fights over Barbie dolls and "I'm BO-ORED" whines.  I held it together through all the tears on outings, begging on errands, and the (daily) ritual trashing of our house.  I'm rather proud of myself.  But I am feeling kind of guilty after reading all the Facebook posts from mothers who are sad their kids are going back to school.   Because, hello, I've been counting down to the first day of school since school got out (in all fairness, so have they--our family just runs better when we're on a strict school schedule and that makes everyone happier).  But oh, well.  A little guilt never hurt anyone.

Anyway, I wanted to share the little treats I used to get myself through the loooooong summer days with four (admittedly adorable, but rather demanding) little girls under foot.  Perhaps you might enjoy these as well:

A Refreshing Beverage

I discovered a great recipe for a tasty (herbal) ice tea.  You take Crystal Light lemonade and prepare as the package directs.  Then add three Tazo Passion tea bags.  Let the bags steep in the lemonade at least overnight and voila! You've got yourself the most delightful (not to mention pink!) drink.  I drank literally gallons of this concoction over the course of this summer.

A Helpful Play List

Some of the bleakest moments of summer came around 3 or 4 pm on weekdays, when the kids were crying/fighting/tired/bored and my reinforcements, er, husband wasn't expected for another couple of hours.  An upbeat play list on my iPod helped me get through those tense moments--basically a time out for Mommy.  I'd either pop in my earbuds and mop the floor or I'd start up a dance party with the girls in the living room.  Here are the featured songs:

*Kate by Ben Folds Five--This one came into heavy rotation during the Canadian Tour Wills and Kate took in July.  Because I really do want to be Kate!

*Rescue Song by Mr. Little Jeans--I heard this on a Honda commercial and fell in love.  It's now Piper's favorite song.   I needed to be rescued a couple of times this summer . . .

*Save Me by Jem--Hmm, I'm sensing a theme here!

*I Wrote the Book by Beth Ditto--This was the free download of the week on iTunes early this summer and it quickly became one of my favorites.  It's great to dance to!

*In the Waiting Line by Zero 7--This is a mellow, calming song.  This is Chloe's favorite.  I would play this on the way home from our weekly picnic in the park to help encourage reluctant walkers.

*Dirty Laundry by Bitter:Sweet--Since there's always so much of it in my house, this is kinda my theme song.

*Flashing Lights by Kanye West--This song keeps making my play lists.  It's been carried over from LAST summer's play list, to this winter's, to the spring's . . . yeah, I love it.  It helps me get my kitchen floor spic and span!  Just make sure you get the clean version of the song.

A Good Mani/Pedi

I got to the salon every week . . . in my dreams.  In reality, I had to be my own nail technician.  A few investments helped me recreate the salon effect at home.  Having pretty fingers and toes helped me feel, well, polished as I toted the girls all over town (think art classes, birthday parties, playgroups).  So I found the time I spent doing these manicures and pedicures very restorative.  And yes, the little girls benefited from this as well.  I'd paint 80 little fingernails and 80 little toenails every couple of weeks.  (The Belles are lousy tippers, though.)  Here are my must-haves for at-home manicures:



Sally Hansen Gel Cuticle Remover



A good set of cuticle nippers



Ped Egg



Orly Bonder Rubberized Base Coat



Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat


Sephora by OPI Already Famous--My go-to fingernail shade!

 

Essie Lapis of Luxury--My favorite for toes this summer.



An Afternoon or Evening at the Movies

When I was in high school, I'd go to the movies a few times a week during summer vacation.  I loved seeing all the new releases with my friends and family.  I couldn't go that often this summer, but I did manage to make sure I went at least once a month.  I haven't been that frequently since I started having children.  I had forgotten how much I love a cool, dark theater during the summer.  Here are my favorites:



Midnight in Paris



Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II




Crazy, Stupid, Love




The Help

I know, I know.  I'm not exactly Roger Ebert here, but that's a lot of movies for me!



The Perfect Pair of Sandals




 I think I wore these every single day.  They are incredibly comfortable--I actually hiked in them a couple of times.   I love the silver bead detail SO MUCH.  I felt pulled together even if I just had on jean shorts.  But they were fantastic with dresses, too.  I hope the Gladiator trend goes a couple more seasons because mine still look brand new despite all the serious wear they got.  And they were the perfect way to show off my pedicures!

A Good Book

Check here and here to see what I read and enjoyed the most.






And that, my friends, is how you survive a summer!

5 comments:

  1. Good job staying sane!! I loved this- I'm so excited to check out every last thing you mentioned. I feel like we missed this summer completely- I've never even heard of two of those movies... ha! You're much better at tips than the mini-belles. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to hear your movie thoughts. i was debating seeing the first and third in the theaters (because my cash is so limited. movies are expensive out her!) but the second and fourth are for-sures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post Kelly! Just fantastic!

    Where did you get your gladiators? They're so cute.

    Blue toes!!!!??? I've only ever known you to wear red! Love the blue! So hot right now. And AMEN on the base coat and Seche Vite. LOVE.

    Watching your Kate link on You Tube right now. I have a crush on her too... what a life and WHAT STYLE!!! Love, love, love. So classy! And can I have her hair too?

    Now I'm headed to look up all your music. Oh and I saw The Help w/ my mom on Tuesday! What did you think? I liked it... but so hard to LOVE it when you've loved the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shar, I liked all four of the movies. I felt they were worth seeing in the theater. Not worth even the dollar movie? Mr. Popper's Penguins. That's two hours I'll never get back (although the kids loved it when I took them today).

    Wendy, the sandals were available at Nordstrom and Anthropologie. Jessica has them as well. They were from LAST summer (I got them on super sale), but I can definitely recommend the JB Makowsky brand (check Nordstrom Rack!). And yes, I've definitely broadened my nail polish horizons. The kids helped me with that! The Help was pretty good. I was sad they left out Martian Luther King (that was my favorite!). AND they left out Skeeter's mod makeover at the end (another one of my favorite things in the book). But definitely a movie worth seeing!

    Thanks for the nice comments, you guys!

    ReplyDelete