Lately I've been drawn to bold patterns. Well, that's the nice way to say it. The word "bold" could easily be replaced with "nutso" and still work. What can I say? I enjoy bright colors. And sea creatures. Let's explore:
This is a blouse. I don't know if you can tell, but has raccoons running all over it. I like to call it my Rocky Raccoon blouse. It helps me feel closer to Paul McCartney when I wear it. When I first saw it, I was drawn to the beautiful surplice design and flattering fit. The little friends were just a bonus. I have to say, over the course of about 20 wears, nobody has ever noticed the little critters. Or if they do, they never say anything. Do you know what else I love about this blouse? The designer is the daughter of one of the filmmakers of Grey Gardens (the original documentary, not the Drew Barrymore movie based on the documentary). Grey Gardens was her inspiration for this piece and the print is a nod to the Edies' house guests. How can you not purchase something with that kind of back story?!?!
This dress has a mural of deranged sea creatures on the bottom of it. Yep, you guessed it. I call it my Octopus's Garden dress. Sadly, I don't feel close to Ringo when I wear it. Chloe, my little painter, loves this thing (although she prefers the seahorses on the sides to the wicked scary octopus that is front and center). I feel like I'm wearing a work of art when I have it on . It's designed by a French artist whose specialty is magical prints. I am a huge Nathalie Lete fan and I own several of her pieces. If these plates ever go on sale, they will be mine (I've been waiting a year already)! Oh, and keep your eyes open for another Nathlie Lete piece on this very list!
Speaking of sea creatures, this maxi dress with little tiny lobsters all over it made me so happy. I had been looking for just the right maxi to ease me into this season's top fashion trend (still not sure how well super long dresses work in making me look long and lean) and this one fit the bill (especially after it went on sale). The pattern is very subtle and I'm not sure anyone will be able to tell what I'm wearing. But still. It's lobsters. Who could resist a dress with their absolute favorite food all over it? Not me. Obviously.
If you like your crazy in skirt form, I'm your gal. I tried on this circle skirt once in the winter and decided it was just too loud. Two price reductions later and, well, you get the idea. It came home to live with my other lunatic clothing. It has become my go-to piece! I have found it's the perfect skirt to wear with a tee shirt on hot summer days. If I add tights, boots, and a cardigan, I can enjoy the crazy all year long!
If you thought that last skirt was wacko, well, did you know it's not even the wackiest skirt in my closet? I think that title belongs to this number. Patchwork birds and butterflies are flying all over the ORANGE background. And yet, I couldn't resist its charm. Yep, it's another Nathalie Lete piece. It fits like a dream and is incredibly comfortable. And again, it's crazy I can do year round with simple changes in styling!
So there they are. My most insane items of clothing up for your perusal and judgment. I find the best way to wear a crazy, bold print is to add in lots of solid colors and keep accessories to a tasteful minimum. For instance, the raccoon blouse is worn under a plain black cardigan with either jeans or a khaki skirt. I save pattern mixing for more subtle pieces (like a striped tee with a floral skirt). What about you? Do you have any crazy patterns living in your closet? How do you like to wear them? Do you mix patterns? Do tell in the comments!





How come no one else has commented? And more importantly how has no one noticed the raccoons on your blouse? That is the best blouse. I wish I had it.
ReplyDeleteToday I wore this shirt http://www.threadless.com/news/482314/Three_Keyboard_Cat_Moon_Available_NOW
and my friend told me it was creepy and I should burn it. But I can't help it. It makes me laugh.
I also have a shirt that looks like a bunch of hearts but from far away it's the face of a skeleton. My ward thinks I'm super weird, I'm not weird, I just need better fashion sense like you.
Rachel, I love your shirt! The next time you are in town, you are welcome to borrow my raccoon blouse ;)
ReplyDeleteThis post is fascinating!
ReplyDelete