Several weeks ago, Carter's company had a contest searching for the biggest Jazz fan in their midst. Carter, of course, submitted an essay right away. And he won hands down. I'm sure it had to do with him watching every second of every single game every season. (And yes, he is the fan that yells at the TV. And punches the couch. He's never thrown anything, though, so I give him props for that.) He can quote you facts and statistics about the franchise/players that could make your head spin (if you need to know how many seats the Energy Solutions Arena has, he's your guy). Maybe it was the poster sized drawing of Karl Malone that he drew in high school (which, by the way, won an award). Or perhaps the full array of sweatshirts, t-shirts, hats, etc he owns. But I think what pushed him over the top (edge?) was the fact that he used to tape Jazz games off the radio when he was a little boy so he could listen to them when the Jazz had the night off. Mmmhmm, not only did he win this little contest, he was the only contestant to have OTHER PEOPLE submit testimonials on his behalf (six altogether, thank you very much).
What did he win? A night at the Zion's Bank Basketball Center (aka that one place along I-15 where the Jazz practice). He got to tour the facility (including the locker room) and have dinner. Did I mention all this was with actual Jazz players? He was beyond thrilled. I was happy to see him so happy. And it was perfectly timed--it was the week after Jerry Sloan suddenly quit/retired (a very tough time in this household). I think this was his light in the middle of a very bleak season.
What was Carter most excited about? His picture with Raja Bell:
Go Jazz!
Holy Smokes!! Carter is almost as tall as Raja Bell! Cart, are you standing on something? hehe....just kidding! This night out with the Jazz could not have been given to a better fan! Glad you had this opportunity Cart!!!
ReplyDeleteI wish I would have known, I could have submitted my testimony about how Carter wouldn't let me watch Jazz games with him because I would jinx the team.
ReplyDeleteBut I guess he didn't need any help from me...
Great picture. They look like BFFs! (Oh, and tell Carter he can smack Jenny if she gives him crap about the Mavs victory over the Jazz tonight. I'm pretty sure she'll rub it in.)
ReplyDeleteI would never! Carter had a rough day. I have a soul Brookie! Sheesh
ReplyDeleteNo worries - Jenny in fact can get a lot of credit for this whole experience - I was away from my desk when the CEO sent out the email asking for essays. Jenny goes, "Carter!" and beckoned me to her desk and showed me the email. And she was one of the six people who voted FOR me. And even though she was "afraid" of me yesterday, her earnest concern was very much noticed and appreciated.
ReplyDeleteUm I think Carter won the drawing contest with a picture of Michael Jordan not with Malone...
ReplyDeleteHaha "(edge?)" made me laugh. Wow- I had no idea the Jazz had fans so dedicated. ;D What a cool experience- congratulations!!
ReplyDeleteOooooo....Kelly I think my husband may out-do Carter in terms of being the biggest Jazz fan...but maybe not! Ryan and Carter need to talk about all the craziness this season. New players, new coach, what a mess! Good to catch up with you via blogs!
ReplyDeleteBarrett is absolutely correct.
ReplyDeleteAmy is absolutely incorrect.
okay i had no idea carter was such a huge fan. how did i not know this? but i'm glad you won! you kind of do win most of our work competitions, especially when it comes to writing. (but hmm. was there much competition this time? i mean...everyone else in the office mostly cares about BYU football or whoever all those texans like, right?)
ReplyDelete