I've fallen a little behind on blogging. Obviously. I haven't blogged all year. (Gotta love those New Year's jokes!). I've spent the last week and a half recovering from our December. We attended TWENTY TWO events (ranging from concerts to dinner parties to weddings to brunches) last month. Most of these included the kids, which means Carter and I wrangled little girls into party attire, coats, and boots close to EIGHTY EIGHT times. Don't even start on the food assignments and gift giving required. We had a wonderful, magical holiday season. Carter had a week off from work, so we had lots of fun family time. And, of course, social gatherings. But it was a little tiring. So yeah, you can see why I've been huddled in a corner in my sweat pants for the last little bit. I feel somewhat obligated to post videos from Christmas morning and pictures from EVE, the huge event we attended downtown on New Year's Eve. But I just don't have it in me. I'm sorry. I'm fighting against falling prey to the "If I don't blog it, it's like it didn't happen" mindset. So I'm just going to let sleeping parties lie and leave it at that.
I will, however, catch you up on the poor, neglected reading corner of the blog. I've read several books since the last time I bothered to update that bit. A quick summary:
I cannot in good conscience recommend this book to anyone (besides my mom--I know she can handle it). Its themes are far too adult for me to feel comfortable telling anyone else to check it out. I will say that I think this is a book people read in 50 years to see what life from 2000-2010 felt like. I will also say I liked it better than The Corrections and that the last 30 pages felt like perfection.
This one was a bit of a let down. The Daisy Fay magic was missing. It was entertaining, but not very substantial. Attempts at creating quirky, lovable characters fell a bit short. In summary, not Ms. Flagg's best effort.
This one was a bit too New Age for me to stomach. It's a nice idea to follow your destined path, your ultimate truth, I guess. But it was just a little to weird for me. It will be interesting to discuss it at book club later this month.
Chloe got this book for Christmas and we read it aloud together. It was kind of funny to be reading The Alchemist on my own while reading about Nicolas Flamel and his Philosopher's Stone at night with Chloe. I wonder if Nic was the same guy in the oasis in Paulo Coelho's novel? Anyway, Chloe is loving Mr. Potter's adventures (almost as much as I am loving re-reading them--such a delight!). So much so that she got two more installations for her birthday. We're already 60 pages into The Chamber of Secrets.
I've been meaning to read this one for a while. I wanted to make sure I got it done before the movie comes out later this year. Even though I've never even been to the circus, it was a very entertaining read. I can't wait to see Reese Witherspoon in the lead (that is, if the movie isn't rated R. The book certainly was!). Should make a great movie--actually SEEING these circus acts should be interesting.
Ah, it feels good to be back on track!





That Elephants book was definitely R- yikes! I read it before the movie was in the works because the library put it on a spotlight. Holy moly. I still don't know what happened in one part because I just skipped ahead- haha! I hope they edit all the crap out for the movie- it was such a cute story otherwise.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the heads up on the Flagg one.
Glad to see you out of hiding. I agree about playing catch-up on blogs... takes way too much effort.