I keep getting behind on my book reviews. This week I read two very British books. One was written by Nick Hornby and one felt like it could have been. Heck, even their covers were similar!
I think I liked One Day by David Nicholls better. It was a very cool premise. It followed a couple on the same day (July 15) for twenty years. Each chapter was that day, one year later. And while I was perplexed as to why Emma would waste so much time on Dexter, the alcoholic narcissist, I did enjoy their relationship. I was more than a bit startled by the ending. I gave it four stars on Goodreads, but I think I was being overly generous. Three and a half is more like it. I'm excited to discuss it in my Sisters Book Club next month. (Katie, Abby, and Krista, get reading!!!)
Juliet, Naked was also interesting. I like how Nick Hornby combines his love of music with his literature. Again, I enjoyed the premise--a reclusive former rock star gets in touch via the internet with a couple of fans across the Atlantic. Hornby created some very interesting characters in this one (all the Tucker Crowe lore was so convincing, I was sure he was a real person for a few chapters!). I could have done with more (better?) resolution at the ending, but I often feel that way with Hornby (How To Be Good, anyone?). Still, a very enjoyable and quick read. I gave it three stars.
And now I'm all caught up!


Juliet, Naked was definitely not my favorite Hornby, but I find that any Hornby still makes for a good read. (I too thought Tucker Crowe was real at first!)
ReplyDelete