Thursday, May 20, 2010

FREEEEEDOM!

A rather important event occurred at our house this last week.  I've been running around with my face painted like Braveheart, screaming "FREEEEEEEDOM!"



Well, not really.  But I feel like it.  The event?  I finally weaned Tessa.  [Note: This post was scheduled for last week, but after cutting her off for a few day after a nasty biting incident--which I vowed was the END--we relapsed for a few days.  But it's been five days now since the last nursing session, and I think it's safe to announce that we're officially DONE.]  And I can't say how huge this is for me.

You see, I've been either pregnant or nursing for eight and a half years.  EIGHT years of growing other humans.  Let's break this down:

*39 months of pregnancy 
(Nine months for each girl plus three months from a pregnancy that ended in miscarriage)

*64 months of nursing 
(Chloe = 22, Piper = 15, Sadie = 15, Tessa = 12)

I think it's worth noting that I never had more than four weeks between weaning someone and falling pregnant with the next (in fact, the Piper nursing/Sadie pregnancy actually overlapped for three months).  I did have three months between the miscarriage and the Chloe pregnancy, but we're pretty much talking eight years STRAIGHT.  2002 was the last time I had my body all to myself.   Also,  I never pumped or supplemented for any of the kids for the first six months of their lives.  That means I did ALL the feedings for 2 years worth of newborns.  That's right.  EVERY SINGLE FEEDING, night and day (and it also means that I could never leave the baby for more than 3-4 hours).  I take full responsibility for these choices (and they totally were choices--having so many kids, not supplementing, choosing to nurse for so long, etc).  But now you understand why I look so exhausted these days.  And why this is such a big moment for me.  And why I have the urge to dress up like Braveheart. 

When I found out I was pregnant with Tessa a good six years into this stint, I wasn't sure I could make it.  Physically, mentally, spiritually.  I was worn out and more than a little daunted by just the physical requirement alone (don't even get me started on the mental bit).   But I set a goal that I wanted to nurse her for 12 full months (I not only wanted to follow the recommendation of the AAP, but I also wanted to be fair and let her have close to what I let Sadie and Tessa have.  And yes, I openly admit that I enabled Chloe's nurse-aholic tendencies back in the day when I only had one kid.  But I learned a hard lesson back then and never made the mistake of trying to wean an almost 2-year-old ever again).  It wasn't easy meeting that crazy goal.  After nine months of severe nausea, a horrific delivery that left me with a broken tailbone, three bouts of mastitis, and a baby that refused formula (I was going to supplement this time but never figured out how to get Tessa on board with the plan.  And I just plain REFUSE to pump.  I hate it more than anything--even waking up 3-4 times a night to feed a newborn, obviously!), I did it.  I made it the full twelve months.  Completing this goal that I set 20 months ago feels like one of the biggest accomplishments of my life.  [Note: Tessa actually deserves a lot of credit here.  She made up for her first six months of refusing formula and went crazy for baby food.  She weaned herself down to two feedings a day pretty quickly after that which made it much easier to  reach that original goal!]

A scripture in Genesis caught my eye a couple of months ago:

                       "And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned."  Genesis 21:8

I love that it used to be a tradition to celebrate this major event.  It's one I wanted to adopt in our family.  Carter agreed to let me mark the occasion of weaning our last child in a very special way.  I get to go here:



to visit:



and see:


&


I leave in less than a month for my long weekend in Manhattan.  I have been trying to go visit my sister for two years now.  I'm excited I get to finally go!

FREEEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, you definitely deserve a vacay after all that! But good for you for sticking with it for so long with all four of them - especially for 22 months with Chloe - I am seriously impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I'm so happy you're finally going to NYC! I can think of another way to celebrate your freedom... with several of your girlfriends... next weekend... PERFECT timing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? New York trip to visit Katie? This is the first I've heard of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy COW. What an accomplishment! And what a blessing. I wish my boobs were that agreeable. I had the same goals, but had to fight for every drop. I hate pumping, too- but had to do it or dry up. :b I hope I hope I HOPE I can nurse this kid!

    Have fun in NY!!!! Well deserved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray!!! I'm so happy for you. First DMDG, then NYC... sounds like a fantastic summer. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Congrats! It's such a great feeling to be done nursing (Alexis refused bottles of any kind, which made working 14 hours night shifts really fun) so I can only imagine the freedom you are experiencing being done for good and after so many years. I'm so jealous over your NY trip...both because you get to see Wicked and NKOTB, and Katie! Give her a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! How exciting to start a new chapter!! :-) (Although I am throughly impressed with what you've done!!!) I'll miss you guys at the diva reunion...but I hope you all have lots of fun! I'll keep you all posted on my progress...

    ReplyDelete
  8. "An Education" inspired you to write that What Is Piper Wearing caption in French, didn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Supermom! What an amazing feeling it must be to have accomplished so much in so little time! I'm happy you get to go to New York to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete